The Catholic parish church of Zagreb’s Gornji Grad (Upper Town) is one of the most distinctive buildings in the city, thanks to its brightly patterned tiled roof. Built in the 13th century, there is now little left of the church’s original construction save for a couple of windows and its ornate central doorway, a Gothic addition from the late 1370s. The statues of the Holy Family and the Apostles in the niches just inside the doorway are by Czech sculptor Ivan Parler and were added at the same time. Thanks to damage by fire, several of these statues have since been replaced by wooden reproductions.
Following the devastating earthquake of 1880, St Mark’s was rebuilt once more and its emblematic roof was added, which is adorned with the coats of arms of Zagreb, Croatia and its various regions. Despite its jewel-colored stained-glass windows, the church’s interior is not well lit, but it does have several exceptional artworks: highlights include the Pietà and the Crucifix over the altar, both by Ivan Meštrović, Croatia’s much-revered 20th-century sculptor; and a series of softly colored biblical frescoes by artist Jozo Kljaković. St Marks sits on its own cobbled square at the hub of Zagreb’s political and religious life, surrounded by the Croatian parliament buildings.
Trg Markov. St Mark’s is only open during Mass so check times of services to see inside. Take the funicular (5HRK) up to Gornji Grad from Tomićeva Street and walk.