Home to snow-smothered peaks, glacial valleys, and a number of lakes, the Bernese Oberland region is postcard Switzerland at its most enchanting. From the Jungfrau peak to the Grindelwald slopes, here’s how to best see the Bernese Oberland on a trip from Zurich.
- Spin through the scenic Bernese Oberland and visit the resort town of Interlaken.
- Take the cogwheel train from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch, one of the highest summits in the Swiss Alps.
- You don’t have to reach the official top of Europe to enjoy the highland scenery—a day trip to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungraujoch offers spectacular views of the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Mönch mountain peaks.
- Soak up the charming atmosphere in the historic streets of Grindelwald.
Things to Know
- Interlaken lies 73 miles (118 kilometers) southwest of Zurich, about a two-hour drive.
- Grindelwald is located 84 miles (136 kilometers) southwest of Zurich, a journey of a little over two hours by road.
- Day tours into the Bernese Oberland from Zurich typically last 12 hours and include round-trip bus transportation.
- Alpine weather can be unpredictable, especially at high altitudes, so bring warm and waterproof layers even in summer.