Budapest's Museum of Fine Arts was founded in 1896 when the collections of several institutions were combined to be housed under one roof, namely the roof of the 1906 neo-classical building hosting the museum today.
On the ground floor, visitors will find exhibitions of classical antiquities and of 19th-century paintings and sculptures. The classical antiquities exhibition spans five halls and consists of more than 5,000 items. The collection of paintings includes works from German, Austrian, Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, Italian and British masters. On the second floor, the sculpture exhibition consists of more than 100 European sculptures from the German late-Gothic, Italian Renaissance and Austrian Baroque periods, among others.
The museum also frequently hosts temporary exhibitions, including a large-scale exhibition of works from Rembrandt and other Dutch masters, a collection of lithographs from Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and a display of prints and drawings from Italian Renaissance artist Raphael.