The Museo Canario (Canarian Museum) houses the most complete archeological collection in the Canary Islands. Its permanent exhibition can trace its beginnings to the founding of the museum in 1879 and consists of an impressive range of artefacts devoted to the original inhabitants of the Canaries (the Guanches).
Visitors are invited to develop an understanding of how these early humans lived as the exhibition leads you through 11 rooms displaying mummies, skeletons, jewelry, pottery, statues and other items that played an important role in the Guanches lives from the second half of the first millennium BC to the 15th century. Displays include scale models of their dwellings and a replica of the Cueva Pintada (Painted Caves) at Gáldar.
Museo Canario's library is extensive – so much so it is divided into four separate libraries! The Canarian Library alone holds the largest existing collection of printed material about the Canary Islands. A restoration and expansion project is currently underway to house its collection.
Museo Canario's gift shop is worth a visit for quality handicrafts and souvenirs, as well as a wide range of books and publications.
The Museo Canario is located in the old historic quarter of Vegueta, close to the cathedral and to Santa Ana square. Vegueta is approximately 10km (6.2mi) south-east of Las Palmas. To get there by car, follow the GC-1 highway along the coast in a south-easterly direction. By bus (guaguas) head to the main bus station, estación de Guaguas de San Telmo, south-east of the city.