There are few serial killers as notorious as Jack the Ripper, and brave London visitors can delve into the dark underbelly of the East End on a Jack the Ripper tour. Choose from several options, from afternoon walking tours to night pub crawls.
- Discover the dark legacy of Jack the Ripper on a tour of East London neighborhoods such as Whitechapel, Aldgate, Spitalfields, and Brick Lane.
- Visit Jack the Ripper’s gruesome murder sites including the Frying Pan pub, Hanbury Street, Ten Bells Pub, Goulston Street, and Mitre Square.
- Learn more about the Autumn of Terror, the Ripper Letters, and the different suspects—which even included Prime Minister William Gladstone and Queen Victoria’s own grandson.
- Get a fascinating peek at London’s East End circa the 19th century through state-of-the-art Ripper-Vision projections.
- Stop at a pub to sample London gin or taste local specialties at Old Spitalfields Market.
- Combine a Jack the Ripper tour with a London city sightseeing tour, a visit to the Tower of London, a ghost bus tour, or a themed tour of sites associated with legendary characters Sherlock Holmes and Sweeney Todd.
Things to Know
- Jack the Ripper tours are available by foot and bike, in a classic black taxi, and aboard a vintage double-decker bus.
- Group and private tours typically last between 1.5 and 3.5 hours.
- Jack the Ripper’s reign of terror is one of the most talked about events of Victorian-era London, and the mystery of his identity still remains unsolved.