The French-baroque style Fredensborg Palace was built as a hunting retreat for King Frederick IV of Denmark in 1719. From the grand central courtyard to the manicured gardens, it’s every inch the royal retreat and is still in use by the Danish Royal Family. Visitors are only allowed inside the palace during the month of July but are free to enjoy the grounds all year round.
The grounds center around Lake Esrum. Garden highlights include the Valley of the Norsemen sculpture park with sculptures by J.G. Grund and pleasant woodland walks as well as a kitchen garden and an orangery (these last two are open in July only). Less than an hour from Copenhagen, the palace is within easy distance for a day trip, and guided tours make the journey frequently.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Try and visit while the Changing of the Guards ceremony is taking place (every day at 12 noon).
- In the summer months, there’s a cafe at the lake along with boat rides on the water.
- Opt for a guided tour to learn more about the history of the Danish Royal Family.
- The grounds are dog friendly.
How to Get There
Fredensborg Palace is located at Slottet 1 in Fredensborg, 26 miles (42 kilometers) north of Copenhagen. It’s accessible by car or train from Copenhagen, or as part of a guided tour with round-trip transport provided. The journey time is around an hour.
When to Get There
The grounds at Fredensborg are open all year round, although they are best enjoyed in spring, summer and fall—winter in Denmark is usually cold and snowy. The palace itself is only open to visitors for the month of July.
See Great Contemporary Art at Kunsthal Charlottenborg One of the biggest contemporary art galleries in Europe, Kunsthal Charlottenborg in downtown Copenhagen is a must-visit for culture enthusiasts. From the palace itself—a grand Dutch-inspired baroque building—to the changing roster of engaging exhibits, artist talks, and film showings, there’s plenty to do here.
- Aktivitäten in Rostock
- Aktivitäten in Hamburg
- Aktivitäten in Berlin
- Aktivitäten in Potsdam
- Aktivitäten in Danzig
- Aktivitäten in Posen
- Aktivitäten in Oslo
- Aktivitäten in Kaliningrad
- Aktivitäten in Leeuwarden
- Aktivitäten in Stockholm
- Aktivitäten in Amsterdam
- Aktivitäten in Prag
- Aktivitäten in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Aktivitäten in Norddeutschland
- Aktivitäten in Nordholland
- Nationales Geschichtsmuseum (Frederiksborg Slot)
- Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
- Schloss Kronborg (Kronborg Slot)
- Langelinie Kreuzfahrtterminal
- Dänisches Revue-Museum (Det Danske Revymuseet)
- Kopenhagener Zoo
- Schlossgärten von Rosenborg (Kongens haben)
- Torvehallerne Markt
- Schloss Rosenborg (Rosenborg Slot)
- Kleine Meerjungfrau (Lille Havfrue)
- David Collection (Davids Samling)
- Tycho Brahe Planetarium
- Nordre Toldbod Kreuzfahrtterminal