More than 2 million people cross the Hooghly River by way of the Howrah Bridge each day, earning it the title of the busiest cantilever bridge in the world. The 2,313 foot (705 meter) expanse of steel girders hanging over the water connect the sister cities of Howrah and Kolkata (Calcutta) with eight lanes of chaotic auto rickshaws, scooters, bikes, cars, animals and pedestrian traffic.
A bridge linking the cities was originally proposed in 1862, but plans for the bridge didn’t come to fruition until 1943. Since its erection, the Howrah Bridge has become a cultural icon in Kolkata and West Bengal and has served as a setting and inspiration for the 1958 filmHowrah Bridge by director Shakti Samanta.
Visit the bridge in the early morning to see early rising denizens washing along theghats at the base of the bridge. Under the eastern side of the bridge, you’ll find the colorful and chaotic Mullik Ghat Flower Market, a great place to people watch while sipping on tea.
Browse. Filter. Book.
Should I book Howrah Bridge tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Howrah Bridge 2020?
What's the best way to experience Howrah Bridge?
- Guided Kolkata Sightseeing Trip by Car, Walk & Sunset Cruise Excursion Trip
- Private Full Day Sightseeing Tour of Kolkata
- Private Half-Day Kolkata Tour
- Explore Kolkata- Private Day Tour with Lunch
Things to do near Kolkata
- Things to do in West Bengal
- Things to do in Rajshahi
- Things to do in Dhaka
- Things to do in Bhubaneswar
- Things to do in Cox's Bazar
- Things to do in Sylhet
- Things to do in Darjeeling
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Lhasa
- Things to do in Odisha
- Things to do in Assam
- Things to do in Guwahati
- Things to do in Paro
- Things to do in Tibet
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh