The melodies of gospel, a music genre with a deep connection to African-American religious and cultural traditions, fill the Sunday air in New York City areas like Harlem. Here are a few activities you might experience on one of NYC's gospel tours.
- Combine a stirring visit to Harlem for a gospel church service with a tasty soul-food brunch at a local eatery.
- Discover Harlem's political, artistic, and cultural legacy as told through historic landmarks like the Apollo Theater, the Cotton Club, and Hotel Theresa.
- Admire the elegant architecture of Harlem's stately brownstone apartments and the spires of its numerous churches.
- Learn about iconic Harlem figures including Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Duke Ellington.
- Join a lifelong Harlem resident for a multimedia-based walking tour of the vibrant neighborhood.
- Compare the New York gospel scenes in Harlem and Brooklyn during a tour visiting the Brooklyn Tabernacle and Plymouth Church.