St. Mary’s Dome Cathedral, also known simply as Riga Cathedral, is one of the best known landmarks in Latvia. Built near the Daugava River in 1211 by Bishop Albert of Riga, it is the largest medieval church in the Baltics and is the seat of the Archbishop of Riga. The cathedral is also known for its organ, built by E.F. Walcker & Sons in 1882 and considered one of the most valuable historic pipe organs in the world. Instead of a cross, the cathedral’s tower is decorated with a rooster. During Soviet times, when religious services were prohibited, the cathedral was instead used as a concert hall.
The cathedral is located in Riga’s Old City, within easy walking distance of both the train station and many tourist hotels. Services are held on Sundays at 12 p.m. and on weekdays and Saturdays at 8 a.m.