Floriano Peixoto Square (Cinelandia)
Located in Rio’s central financial district, Cinelandia is the common name for an attractive Parisian-style square officially named Praça Floriano Peixoto. During the early years of the twentieth century, Rio’s city center was remodeled to make the city more trendy and livable. An eighteenth century convent was torn down to make way for the public plaza, and by the mid twentieth century, Cinelandia was home to a municipal theater, national library and school of fine arts.
In the location of the former convent, several buildings went up that housed some of Rio’s best cinemas, lending the area its modern nickname of Cinelandia, or Cinema Land. While most of the theaters have since closed, the area remains a vibrant district thanks to its cultural attractions and diverse dining options.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Floriano Peixoto Square (Cinelandia)?
- Private Custom Full-Day in Rio including Christ, Sugar Loaf and Selaron Steps
- Santa Teresa, Lapa, and Cinelândia with Tram Ride and Selarón Steps
- Ancient Rio and Santa Teresa Tour with Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Rio Historic Center Walking Tour with Typical Brazilian Lunch
Things to do near Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Ilha Grande
- Things to do in Búzios
- Things to do in Paraty
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Curitiba
- Things to do in Balneario Camboriu
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Florianopolis
- Things to do in Porto Seguro
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina