Paulista Avenue (Avenida Paulista)
Bookended by Shopping Paulista mall and the distinctive Conjunto Nacional, Avenida Paulista serves as the address for many of the city’s most important cultural institutions, including the Sao Paulo Museum of Art (MASP), Parque Trianon, and Casa das Rosas arts center, located in one of the last mansions remaining on the street. It would be difficult to visit Sao Paulo and not encounter the street, as it features on the majority of city sightseeing tours.
Recent reviews from experiences in Sao Paulo
Things to Know Before You Go
As one of the city’s most important thoroughfares, Avenida Paulista offers a glimpse into city life in Sao Paulo, making it a must-see for first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable walking shoes, as the area is best explored on foot and stretches about 1.7 miles (2.8 km) end-to-end.
There are plenty of restaurants and bars along the strip, which are generally up-scale.
How to Get There
To get to Avenida Paulista, take the Sao Paulo metro to Paulista, Consolação, Trianon-Masp, or Brigadeiro stations, depending on where you want to begin your exploration of the street.
When to Get There
The street is at its liveliest come nightfall. On Sunday afternoons, craft fairs and flea markets spring up at the foot of the MASP. Throughout the year, the street hosts events such as the world’s largest gay pride parade (May/June); the renowned São Silvestre road race (December 31st); and a New Year’s Eve party.
Nightlife Near Avenida Paulista
Restaurants and nightclubs along Avenida Paulista and its cross streets make this one of Sao Paulo’s nightlife hotspots. If you’re planning a night out, check out buzzing Rua Augusta, perhaps the city’s liveliest nighttime haunt, or Rua Frei Caneca, the heart of the city’s LGTBQ scene.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Sao Paulo Museum of Art (MASP)
- Jardins District
- Sao Paulo Football Museum (Museu do Futebol)
- Liberdade (Bairro da Liberdade)
- Italian Building
- Republic Square (Praça da República)
- Estádio Municipal Paulo Machado de Carvalho (Pacaembu Stadium)
- Museum of Image and Sound (MIS)
- Hotel Unique
- Sé Cathedral (Catedral da Sé)
- Martinelli Building (Edifício Martinelli)
- Pateo do Collegio Church
- Farol Santander (Banespa Tower)
- Ibirapuera Park
- Monastery of Sao Bento (Mosteiro de Sao Bento)