Japan’s northernmost main island, Hokkaido is known for its white winters. When leaves turn and the snow starts to fall, the people of Sapporo know how to make the best of a chilly situation. Get out and enjoy the snow with these popular winter activities.
- Go ice fishing for smelt on the frozen Barato River.
- Take an ice crusher cruise to Monbetsu Ocean Park and Okhotsk sea ice observation tower.
- Stroll along the icy Otaru Canal, a famous landmark in Hokkaido, on a day trip from Sapporo.
- Hit the slopes at Sapporo International Ski Resort for a day of skiing, snowboarding, or sledding.
- Snowshoe through a forest to the Cave of Ice Stalagmites, one of Sapporo’s winter wonders.
- Marvel at giant snow sculptures during the Sapporo Snow Festival, one of Hokkaido’s most popular winter events, in Odori Park.
- Warm up in the hot spring water of a traditional Japanese onsen.