From food to art to religion, it’s a joy to explore Khmer culture in Siem Reap, no matter where your interests lie. Whether you want to create something with your own hands or simply admire traditional Cambodian architecture or performance art, here are some options.
- Head into the countryside for a cooking class in a rural village, where you make dishes such as a classic amok (curry) with coconut milk.
- Opt for a cooking class in Siem Reap, which may also include a tuk-tuk ride to the Old Market (Psar Chaa).
- Enjoy an evening out at an Apsara dance performance.
- Take a pottery class or a ceramic art workshop to try your hand at making a Khmer item that you can take home.
- Visit local Buddhist temples, especially Angkor Wat, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the top attractions in Asia. Crowded is an understatement here, so try a sunrise tour or helicopter tour for something different.