Visitors to the Museum of Archaeology and History Francisco Fonck, or the Fonck Museum for short, are greeted by two original moai from Easter Island. The museum was founded in 1937 and named after German physician and archeologist Dr. Francisco Fonck Foveaux, who was based in Chile.
The archaeological collections displayed on the first floor of the museum cover everything from Rapa Nui cultural relics from Easter Island to archaeological items from the cultures of the Peruvian Andes. Natural history takes center stage on the second floor, including an arthropod collection, entomology area and several exhibits on the ecosystem of Easter Island and the Valparaiso coast.
The Museum of Archaeology and History Francisco Fonck is open seven days per week except on select holidays.