The fertile hills and manicured vineyards of South Australia produce some of Australia’s most famous wines, and wine regions such as Barossa Valley, Adelaide Hills, and Fleurieu Peninsula make popular day trip destinations from Adelaide city. Here are our picks of the must-try wine varietals and tasting experiences in Adelaide.
The Barossa Valley wine region, right on Adelaide’s doorstep, specializes in shiraz and cabernet sauvignon wines, with the most prestigious wineries including Yalumba, Seppelt, and Penfolds, known for its wallet-breaking Grange Hermitage. Nearby in the Adelaide Hills, the cooler climate lends itself to pinot noir and chardonnay wines, and popular wineries include Chain of Ponds, Petaluma, and Shaw + Smith. Along the Fleurieu Peninsula, the McLaren Vale wine region is famed for its full-bodied reds, while the Clare Valley is lauded for its award-winning rieslings. Some of Australia’s most prized red wines come from the Coonawarra region, notably the cabernet sauvignon wines produced by Wynns Coonawarra Estate and Yalumba.
- Venture off-road on a 4WD day tour of the Fleurieu Peninsula or take a scenic bike ride around the cellar doors of McLaren Vale.
- Sample delicious cheeses, chocolates, and regional cuisine on a wine and food tour of the Barossa Valley or Adelaide Hills.
- Learn the secrets of winemaking and create your own personalized wine at Penfolds Winery in the Barossa Valley.
- Feel like a VIP with a boutique wine tasting tour of the Clare Valley by private limousine.
- Discover the lesser known wine region of Langhorne Creek and sample the world’s only white cabernet sauvignon.