Amsterdam’s legendary coffee shops are known not for coffee, but for the welcoming environment they provide to smoke marijuana. If you’re looking for coffee, head to a café or koffiehuis; otherwise check out the pot scene with a coffee shop tour. Here’s what you need to know.
- Learn about the history of marijuana and drug laws in Amsterdam on a small-group or private tour.
- Get an introduction to the local marijuana scene at the Dam Palace, one of Amsterdam’s oldest coffee shops.
- Discover Amsterdam’s notorious coffee shops and experience the laidback culture for yourself.
- Explore the colorful Reguliersdwarsstraat area, the city’s center of LGBTQ nightlife.
- Walk the cobbled streets of the infamous Red Light District, packed with sex shops and erotic theaters.
- Pair your coffee shop tour with an optional visit to Amsterdam’s famed Sex Museum.
- Join a combined coffee shop and food tour to enjoy samples of popular Dutch cuisine along the way.
Things to Know
- Cannabis is not technically legal in the Netherlands, though it is widely tolerated.
- Walking tours typically depart from a central location in the afternoon and last two to three hours.
- Some tours combine visits to a couple coffee shops with the Red Light District or other attractions in central Amsterdam.
- For tours that involved food sampling, dietary restrictions may be accommodated with advance notice.