A bronze statue on a hilltop fronting the sea commemorates The Sandugo, a traditional tribal trust ceremony shared by regional chief Datu Skiatuna and Captain General Miguel López de Legazpi of Spain shortly after his arrival in Bohol in 1565. The symbolic gesture formed the foundation for lasting peace between the Spaniards and the Island residents.
The statue, near the site of the original ceremony, sits on small raised pedestal and depicts the two men seated in their period regalia and clanking glasses while three Spaniards look on approvingly. The blood compact required both men to create a small incision in their forearms, sprinkle blood in a glass of wine, exchange cups, and drink, thus solidifying the compact.
The monument is located off Tagbilaran East Road in the southern part of Tagbilaran City, just before the bridge to Panglao Island. Tricycles, public buses or jeepneys make the trip from the Integrated Bus Terminal 3 miles (4.5 km) to the north, and the site is included in many tours departing Tagbilaran City. Sunset is a popular time to visit for photos.