Slovakia’s wine scene is relatively undiscovered by outsiders, with the majority of Slovak wines being consumed domestically. The Small Carpathians wine region is right on Bratislava’s doorstep, so you won’t have to venture far to enjoy vineyard landscapes and special tastings. See below for wine tour options from Bratislava.
Extending from Bratislava to Trnava and concentrated around the towns of Svätý Jur, Pezinok, and Modra, the Small Carpathians wine region has been a viticultural center for centuries. The region is packed with small-scale wine producers growing varietals such as riesling, pinot blanc, pinot noir, and pinot gris, as well as Slovak grapes including devín, milia, and dunaj. The northern Bratislavan suburb of Rača is known for its rich and full-bodied red, which is made from blue Frankish grapes. The region also produces honey wine (medovina).
- Learn about the production of honey wine during a visit to a local producer.
- Take a day tour to the wine-covered foothills of the Small Carpathian Mountains.
- Descend into a centuries-old cellar for a guided tasting.
- Pair local wines with Slovak cheeses during a wine tour of Bratislava Old Town.
- Toast your travels with a flute of sparkling Slovak wine.
- Create your own cuvée wine blend and bring home a bottle as a souvenir.