Delving into Hungary’s Jewish history, which dates back to the medieval era, makes a fascinating addition to any Budapest city tour. Here are some experiences and sights—like the impressive Dohany Street Synagogue—not to miss while on a Jewish heritage walking tour of the capital city.
- Explore Budapest’s Jewish Quarter on a guided tour, and visit synagogues such as the Dohany Street Synagogue—one of the great synagogues of Europe—the Kazinczy Street Synagogue, and the Rumbach Street Synagogue, and learn of their important role in the Jewish community.
- Walk around the former World War II Jewish ghetto and Holocaust Memorial Park, and gain insight into the struggles Jews faced in wartime.
- Admire local landmarks like the Carl Lutz Memorial, the Gozsdu Courtyard, and the Tree of Life.
- Sample tasty treats such as palinka (fruit brandy) and flodni (apple, poppy seed, and walnut pastries) in some of the city’s popular kosher bakeries.
- Learn about Jewish history and culture at the Jewish Museum.
- Enjoy a traditional Hungarian buffet lunch with fine views over the Budapest skyline on a Danube River cruise.