Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
More than 1,500 tropical butterflies—from the electric blue Ulysses to the green and yellow Cairns Birdwing—call this world-class aviary home. Stationed in the heart of the Kuranda rainforest, the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary has been impressing visitors with both its whimsical nature and state-of-the-art laboratory since it first opened in 1987.
Interested travelers can follow free 30-minute tours that include up-close looks at the caterpillar breeding nursery. Here, you can see newly born butterflies before they’re released into the aviary and learn about the stages of development that lead to the birth of these fanciful creatures.
The sanctuary’s laboratory is another popular stop that showcases efforts to keep the aviary well stocked. While just two percent of eggs survive in the wild, more than 80 percent mature here thanks to lab experts. Catch a peek at the hard-working scientists who keep this facility thriving.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Australian Butterfly Sanctuary hours of operation?
Should I book Australian Butterfly Sanctuary tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Australian Butterfly Sanctuary 2020?
What's the best way to experience Australian Butterfly Sanctuary ?
- Kuranda Scenic Railway Day Trip from Cairns
- Skip the Line Kuranda Scenic Railway Gold Class and Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
- Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
- Best of Kuranda Including Skyrail, Kuranda Scenic Railway and Rainforestation
Things to do near Cairns & the Tropical North
- Things to Do in Cairns with Kids
- Romantic Things to Do in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 2 Days in Cairns
- Things to Do in Cairns This Summer
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 3 Days in Cairns & the Tropical North
- Things to Do in Cairns This Winter