Southern Germany’s endlessly scenic Romantic Road winds through the foothills of the Bavarian Alps and the former Imperial cities of Rothenburg, Donauworth, and Dinkelsbuhl. Whether you’re starting your journey in Munich or Frankfurt, here are a few ways to explore Bavaria’s UNESCO World Heritage–listed attractions along the pretty route.
Tours from Munich
If time is short, a full-day round-trip tour from Munich is a great way to see the key sights of the Romantic Road with ease. After meeting your guide, you’ll head straight out of the city and into the Bavarian countryside. Admire sweeping views over the dense forests and soaring peaks, and stop in the medieval towns of Harburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Along the way, discover top attractions such as 11th-century Harburg Castle and St. Jakob’s Church, and enjoy free time to explore the cobbled lanes at your leisure.
If you have more time to spare, 4-day tours run from Munich to Frankfurt. Soak up the atmosphere in historic Augsburg and Rothenburg, and explore famous sights including Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace near Hohenschwangau. On these multi-day excursions, the pace is a bit more relaxed and there’s more time to spend at each destination.
Tours from Frankfurt
Choose a full-day tour from central Frankfurt to travel along the banks of the Neckar River to Rothenburg, visit imposing fortresses such as Heidelberg Castle and 18th-century Schwetzingen Castle, or roll along the Spessart mountain roads to Wurzburg, home to baroque architecture and vineyards. Alternatively, take in two top attractions on a super-saver tour, and visit Neuschwanstein Castle and Rothenburg in one day.
On a multi-day tour from Frankfurt to Munich, follow the Romantic Road through Bavaria and the mythical Black Forest. Explore historic towns like Fussen, Heidelberg, Rothenburg, and Singen, and visit natural highlights such as Lake Constance and the Rhine River. During your tour, stop at popular landmarks including Linderhof Palace and Neuschwanstein Castle, and gain insight into centuries of Bavarian history and heritage.
Things to Know
- From Munich, you can choose either a full-day, round-trip Romantic Road tour or a multi-day one-way tour to Frankfurt.
- Munich is 154 miles (248 kilometers) from Rothenburg, about a 3-hour drive.
- From Frankfurt, choose from a broad range of Romantic Road tour options ranging from 8-hour day trips to 7-day adventures.
- Frankfurt is 109 miles (176 kilometers) from Rothenburg, about a 2.5-hour drive.
- Day tours typically include entrance fees, guide, and transportation by air-conditioned bus.
- Multi-day tours typically include 3-star hotel accommodations, activity fees, and meals.