The Mai Chau Valley, a little more than 80 miles (135 kilometers) outside of Hanoi, is a wonderful example of rural life in Vietnam, and a great idea for a day trip. Here’s what you need to know about how best to visit this rural escape.
One of the easiest ways to explore the Mai Chau Valley in comfort (without blowing your travel budget) is on a guided small-group tour from Hanoi. Enjoy an air-conditioned drive through picturesque Hoa Binh province, cycle past rice fields while stopping at peaceful villages, and have a traditional lunch with a local family as you learn about day-to-day life in Mai Chau over a glass of rice wine. Limited group numbers mean you’ll have plenty of opportunity to ask questions and interact with your local guide.
The cultural and natural wonders of Mai Chau are yours to explore in comfort and style when you opt for a private tour of the area. Make the journey in the comfort of your own private vehicle and benefit from the insights of your guide as you visit a family in a traditional stilt house, trek between small villages, or cycle through rice paddies, depending on your interests.
Things to Know
- A Mai Chau day trip can last 11 hours or longer, depending on the option chosen.
- Choose between the value of a small-group tour or the flexibility of a private tour
- Most tours include hotel pickup and drop-off in Hanoi.
- Don’t forget to bring along rain gear, especially if you’re visiting between June and September.
- Be sure to bring comfortable shoes, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Very few businesses in Mai Chau accept credit or debit cards, so remember to bring some local currency in small denominations.