Tucked away down a tiny side street in the cramped alleyways of Málaga’s historic center, the Church of the Sacred Heart was funded and built in Neo-Gothic style in 1920 by an order of Jesuits monks. Designed by revered local architect Fernando Guerrero Strachan — he was known as ‘the Gaudí of Málaga’ and the monumental city hall is also his work — the basilica has an eye-catching façade in soft biscuit stone, topped with two spires and covered in Gothic-style tracery. An ornate rose window sits above the spiky arches of the main doors.
The interior of the church is relatively plain, with three aisles lined with tiny chapels and all topped with soaring vaulted roofs. On either side of the massive Neo-Gothic main altar are paintings of the martyrs St Ignacio de Loyola and St Francisco de Borja, and the narrow stained-glass windows are by the renowned firm Mauméjean from Pau in France; they feature scenes from the lives of the saints.
Admission is free, and open daily 7am–12pm, 6pm–7:30pm. For transportation, take EMT bus no 36 to Carretería on Plaza Nueva or walk through the pedestrianized streets of the old city.