Located in Marseille’s 2nd Arrondissement, between the City Hall and the Cathedral, and built on the ruins of an ancient Roman warehouse discovered in 1947, the Roman Docks Museum features, as its name states, exhibits based on the 20 Roman shipwrecks that have been found nearby.
The museum opened in 1963, and was renovated in 1987. It is one of the only still-used today commercial warehouses from the Roman era in all of France, and is considered a Historic Monument. Fernand Benoit, a world-renowned archaeologist and historian, helped preserve some of the site’s relics including 30 large jars dating back from the Roman Empire, and walls and wells from medieval homes.
Admission is €3 / €2 (Full fare / reduced fare) and the museum can easily be reached by public transportation, either by bus (line 83, Quai du Port stop or line 55, Caisserie Beauregard stop). It can also be reached by car, via the Rue de l’Évêché exit from A55 / Boulevard des Dames.