There are very few places in the United States where you can hop on a boat, visit another country, enjoy a day of sunshine and adventure, and still be back in time for dinner. Florida is one of those places. Here’s what you need to know about visiting the Bahamas from Miami.
Things to Know
- Ferries take run from the port of Miami to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, or Bimini, where you’ll pass through customs.
- Don’t forget to bring your valid passport, as well as anything you might need for a day at the pool or the beach, such as sunscreen, a hat, and a change of clothes.
- The boat ride takes about three hours, but most ferries are stocked with a full bar, a casino, and duty-free shopping, making the journey an experience in its own right.
- Spend your free time in the Bahamas wandering around town, sunbathing on the white-sand beaches, relaxing at a resort, or shopping in the famous Straw Market.
- A Bahamas day trip from Miami often involves an early-morning wake-up and can last upwards of 14 hours.
- Most tours to the Bahamas include pickup and drop-off at your Miami hotel.