- The Temple of San Biagio was built by Antonio da Sangallo the Elder, illustrious architect from Florence, between 1518 and 1545. Located in the middle of a sprawling meadow outside the town, the church is considered a masterpiece of 16th century Tuscan Renaissance architecture. The Church of the Madonna di San Biagio, with a Greek cross plan, central dome and semicircular apse, is flanked by two bell towers, of which only the one on the left was completed accomplished. It is entirely covered in travertine stone. Inside, the only wall with numerous decorative elements is the one corresponding to the main altar where there is a large marble dossal at the centre of which a fresco depicting the Madonna and Child and St. Francis is inserted. In front of the church is the harmonious building of the rectory, with two beautiful loggias, executed around the 1550.
- Learn More