The roots of hip-hop run deep in New York City, where the fast-paced mix of poetry, beats, swagger, and style originated back in the 1970s before dominating the music world. Here are some of the best ways to explore the genre's rich history in NYC.
- Discover the early days of hip-hop by making a pilgrimage to explore its origins in the Bronx.
- Learn about hip-hop pioneers like DJ Red Alert, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, the Sugarhill Gang, and Public Enemy.
- See how Harlem's music scene helped inspire future hip-hop innovators at venues like the Apollo Theater and Lenox Lounge.
- Travel to Brooklyn to see where local hip-hop figureheads like Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, Lil' Kim, and more got their start.
- Explore the intersections of hip-hop and other New York City cultural movements like graffiti, B-Boy crews, and breakdancing.