Oahu luaus couple Polynesian culture with Hawaiian buffets to showcase the aloha spirit. From urban affairs in Waikiki to resort shows at Ko Olina and Kapolei, here are some of the top-rated, can’t-miss luaus for your Hawaii vacation to-do list.
- Watch a traditional imu ceremony where attendants remove the centerpiece kalua pig from an underground oven.
- Sample a full buffet spread of traditional Hawaiian cuisine such as poi, poke, kalua pork, and lomi lomi salmon. Most luaus also offer Western alternatives.
- Sip Mai Tais, Blue Hawaiis, and Piña Coladas all night long.
- Learn Hawaiian legends through mesmerizing kahiko (ancient) hula performances.
- Volunteer your family members to try hula onstage (then get your camera ready).
- See dances from around the Pacific, including the skilled antics of expert fire-knife dancers.
- Choose the Paradise Cove Luau to take in views of Pearl Harbor and downtown Honolulu from the site’s lush grounds.
- For a low-key, backyard-style experience, attend Germaine’s Luau, set seaside on Oahu’s southwestern coast.
- To learn about Polynesian villages in Hawaii, New Zealand, Samoa, and Fiji, explore the Polynesian Cultural Center before sitting down to its popular Alii Luau.