The Spanish Synagogue in Prague is the newest synagogue in the Jewish Town area. Ironically, it is built on the site of the 12th-century Altschul, which was thought to be the oldest synagogue in the city.
The current building was constructed in 1868. It was designed by Vojtěch Ignátz Ullmann in a neo-Moorish style, which was inspired by the art of the Arabic period of Spanish history – hence the synagogue’s name. The elaborate interior was designed by the architects, Antonín Baum and Bedřich Münzberger, and includes beautiful stained-glass windows and a stucco-covered ceiling of intricate stylized motifs, which also adorn the walls, doors, and gallery balustrades.
The Spanish Synagogue in Prague holds regular services, permanent and temporary exhibitions, classical concerts, and a variety of other programs and events.
The Spanish Synagogue is located in Prague’s Jewish Quarter. To reach it, take metro Line A to Staromestska station, or take tram number 17 to the Pravnicka fakulta stop. The ticket counter, museum shop, and toilet facilities are located in the synagogue vestibule.