National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
Perhaps the most famous (and certainly most prized) public building in all of San Jose, the National Theater of Costa Rica (Teatro Nacional) in the city’s Catedral district, is home to the nation’s cultural community. Classical music, theater and dance performances take place several times a week. And while it’s always worth catching a show, the theater’s traditional Renaissance architecture, breathtaking ceilings and grand interiors make it a must-see stop even if you can’t get tickets for the symphony.
Free tours of the historic building, which was built in 1897, take place daily at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., and the theater’s highly regarded café with picturesque San Jose views, is a perfect spot to grab lunch before exploring the rest of the city.
Browse. Filter. Book
What are National Theater (Teatro Nacional) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience National Theater (Teatro Nacional)?
- San Jose Walking and Bus City Tour
- San Jose By Night: Food and Culture Small Group Tour
- Lonely Planet Experiences: San Jose Tapas, Traditional Masks and Escazu Visit
- Knowing the best of San José
Things to do near San Jose
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Alajuela
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in La Fortuna
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast