Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa) Tours and Activities
Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa) often serves as an introduction to the salt flat for visitors. The ground here is crusted with an inedible salt, and in the morning, a pinkish light comes over the horizon as the sun rises. While the crystalline ground is fascinating and curious, the wild flamingos in the area often turn heads.
And the presence of flamingos should be no surprise, as the Chaxa Lagoon(Laguna Chaxa) is one of the easiest entry points to Chile’s National Flamingo Reserve and a great place for photographers with good reflexes (and zoom, as the birds often keep their distance).
As the pinkish light dissipates and the air warms up, packs of the birds take flight over the lake. Three different species often reside here: the Chilean, Andean and James' flamingos. A variety of other birds can be seen here as well, including the Andean avocet, the puna plover and a type of sandpiper, a small bird with a long beak that feeds on small organisms in the mineral-rich water. The birds are most active at sunrise and sunset.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa)
- Cejar Lagoon (Laguna Cejar)
- Los Flamencos National Reserve (Reserva Nacional Los Flamencos)
- Ojos del Salar
- Altiplanic Lagoons
- Atacama Salt Flats (Salar de Atacama)
- Puritama Hot Springs (Termas Baños de Puritama)
- Atacama Desert
- Tebenquiche Lagoon
- Institute of Archaeological Research and R. P. G. Le Page Museum (Instituto de Investigacio
- Church of San Pedro de Atacama
- El Tatio Geysers
- Rainbow Valley (Valle del Arcoiris)
- Tulor Village
- Pukara de Quitor