In Seville’s Triana neighborhood, near the banks of the Guadalquivir River, the Castillo San Jorge was the headquarters of the Spanish Inquisition from 1481 to 1785. The 12th century castle was demolished in the 19th century to make room for a market and today the underground ruins of the castle are home to the Inquisition Museum.
Founded in 2009, the museum chronicles the religious purges that took place during one of the darkest periods of Spanish history. Visitors will learn about how the Inquisition occurred, from accusations and inquiries to detentions and torture, as well as about daily life in the castle for both prisoners and jailers. However, no devices of torture are displayed. Drawings show suspects wearing pointed caps and tunics marked with an X, and maps show the other major Inquisition-related sites in Seville.
The Inquisition Museum is located on the Plaza del Altozano, next to the Triana Bridge and the municipal market. The entrance near the north tower of the bridge can be easy to miss. A free audio guide is available.
The museum can be reached by taking bus 43 to San Jorge (Altozano) or bus C3 to Pages del Corro (San Jacinto).