Stockholm’s Parliament House is the seat of parliament in Sweden, better known as the Riksdag. Built between 1897 and 1905, the building was designed in a neoclassical style, with a Baroque Revival style façade. Today, it consists of two wings. The east wing is the original House of Parliament, while the west wing used to be the head office of the national bank. Occupying nearly half of the island of Helgeandsholmen in Stockholm’s Old Town, Parliament House also houses the Riksdag Library, which holds a variety of parliamentary documents and international legislation and is open to the public.
Visitors to Parliament House are welcome to observe everything that takes place in the parliamentary chamber, whether it is listening to debates and votes or attending public hearings or seminars. The public gallery to the Chamber holds 500 visitors, while the public gallery of the former first chamber holds 150 visitors and the gallery of the former second chamber holds 200 visitors. The latter two chambers are open for public hearings. Tours of the building are also available.
The entrance to the public gallery of the Chamber and tours is at Riksgatan 3. The entrances to the former first and second galleries are along Riksplan on either side of a large stone staircase. All visitors must present valid identification to enter Parliament House. Guided tours take about an hour and cover the history of the Riksdag and what is currently happening in parliament. No advance reservations are required, but space is limited.