When Sydney’s original European settlers arrived in Sydney Harbor, they sustained themselves by planting a garden here at Garden Island. Today, after land was reclaimed and filled in with rocks, Garden Island is now a point that juts out into the harbor, and houses the Royal Australian Navy’s eastern fleet of ships. During World War II, a Japanese mini sub infiltrated the harbor and sank an Australian ship—resulting in the death of 21 sailors from the Australian and British navies. Much more history is outlined in depth at the Royal Australian Navy Heritage Center—a fascinating museum here on Pott’s Point that’s a must for history or war buffs. Once finished perusing the Heritage Center, which is fantastically free of charge, take a stroll through the gardens and grounds that are hidden behind the museum, where BBQ grills and views of the harbor make the perfect spot for a picnic. From the elevated viewing platform behind the museum, it’s possible to see the Harbor Bridge as well as the Sydney Opera House, and the view stretches all the way out to the heads and the mouth of Sydney Harbor.
Garden Island Tours and Activities
What are Garden Island hours of operation?
Should I book Garden Island tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Garden Island 2021?
What's the best way to experience Garden Island?
- Private Sunset Cruise on Sydney Harbour for up to Six Guests
- Secret Sydney Lunch Cruise with 3 Beach Stops
- Private Icons and Highlights Cruise of Sydney Harbour
- Sydney Harbour Boat Tour with Unique Beach Landings and Local Guide
Things to do near Sydney
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania