Wellington’s first Anglican cathedral, the classic Gothic Revival Old St. Paul Cathedral’s is a picture-book wooden church built in 1845. The building was designed by the parish vicar, the Reverend Frederick Thatcher.
The simple white-painted exterior leads to a dramatic interior featuring bold use of native timbers. The piers of wood form trusses that curve upwards to meet in the roof’s center, a bit like the hull of an upturned boat.
Another highlight of this popular building is the lovely stained glass, particularly the windows surrounding the apse and south alcove.
While the church no longer hosts regular Sunday services, it’s a popular venue for weddings and funerals.
Old St. Paul Cathedral's is north of the waterfront near Wellington’s central train station.