Plaza de Bolivar
Enormous and austere, Bogota’s broad, bricked central plaza was designed in 1553 to be the gathering place for tens of thousands at the hub of the federal government. Once known simply as the Plaza Mayor (Main Plaza) and serving as home to the city market, the plaza is a classic example of monumental Spanish civil engineering. Some of Bogota's most important edifices sit in the area: the soaring neoclassical national cathedral; the appropriately federalist capitol building; French neoclassical Edificio Liévano, seat of city government; and the ultra-modern stylized arches of the imposing Palace of Justice, most recently rebuilt after a 1985 terrorist attack.
At the center of it all is the statue of Simón Bolívar, erected in 1846 to honor the man who liberated so much of South America from the Spanish.
Unless there’s a festival or political rally, the enormous brick expanse is fairly quiet, quickly crisscrossed by crisply suited officials talking seriously into cell phones, vendors selling snacks, souvenirs and photos with adorably outfitted llamas, and the constant thrum of pigeon wings as great flocks whirl around endlessly. The people-watching is outstanding, and you’re a stone's throw from a dozen museums, churches and other attractions well worth seeing.
Ways to experience Plaza de Bolivar
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Plaza de Bolivar?
- La Candelaria + Optional Monserrate + Optional Gold Museum Bogotá City Tour 5-7H
- Bogota 5-Hour City Sightseeing Tour with Gold Museum and Optional Monserrate
- Bogota In Transit Tour (6-hour layover experience)
- Bogota • Private City Tour
Things to do near Bogotá
- Things to do in Armenia
- Things to do in Medellín
- Things to do in Cali
- Things to do in Nueva Loja
- Things to do in Cartagena
- Things to do in Barranquilla
- Things to do in Quito
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Santa Marta
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in Baños
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Osa Peninsula & Gulfo Dulce