The Noon Gun, as you might guess from the name, is a signal gun fired every day at noon in Cape Town. The gun is perched atop Signal Hill, not far from the city center, and it has been marking the time since 1806. The two cannons (one is a back-up) on the hill date from the late 18th century, brought on a British ship and once used in warfare. The firing of the gun at noon was meant to give ships in the harbor a chance to synchronize their chronometers.
Even after the gun was no longer needed to establish chronometer accuracy, it was still fired each day at exactly noon – as it still is today. The only days the Noon Gun does not fire are Sundays and public holidays.
Noon Gun Tours
Should I book Noon Gun tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Noon Gun 2021?
What's the best way to experience Noon Gun?
- Cape Town Half Day City Tour with Table Mountain
- Full-Day Cape Town Highlights Private Tour with Local Guide
- Half Day Cape Town City and Table Mountain Guided Tour
- Half day City & Table Mountain Tour
Things to do near Cape Town
- Things to do in Western Cape
- Things to do in Stellenbosch
- Things to do in Franschhoek
- Things to do in Port Elizabeth
- Things to do in Gauteng
- Things to do in KwaZulu-Natal
- Things to do in Zanzibar
- Things to do in Kilimanjaro
- Things to do in Mahé
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil