The Old Courthouse, now officially known as the Sarawak Tourism Complex, was used as the seat of Sarawak’s judicial branch from when it was built in 1871 until 1973. The complex encompasses a series of architecturally interesting structures, like the colonial-Baroque clock tower — the complex’s most recognizable building — added in 1883 and the English Renaissance/English Colonial Pavilion Building, added in 1909 and currently home to the Textile Museum.
Other points of interest include the Round Tower, built in 1886 as a fort and later converted to a dispensary and most recently the headquarters of the Sarawak Craft Council, and the Charles Brooke Memorial, added in 1924 to honor the second white rajah of Sarawak.
The Old Courthouse Complex is situated near the Kuching Esplanade and makes for a pleasant stroll with some nice architectural photo ops. A small cafe with courtyard seating offers a place for travelers to rest their feet over a cup of coffee.
The Old Courthouse houses the Sarawak Forestry Office, so stop by for more information on any of the nearby national parks.