Los Hervideros Tours
Ranking among Lanzarote’s most unusual geological attractions, Los Hervidores is an extraordinary collage of rocks, caves, and lava tubes that loom over the island’s west coast. Formed during the 18th-century eruptions of the Timanfaya volcanoes, the dramatic coastline was created when hot lava met with cold water.
While the landscape makes for remarkable photo opportunities, the real highlight of visiting Los Hervideros is watching the waves crash against the coast. Looking out from the cliff top, you can witness water funneling through spillways, which sends spurts of sea water roaring into the air. It explains how the cliffs got their name—Los Hervideros is Spanish for boiling waters.
Many full-day tours of Lanzarote include a stop at the spectacular sea cliffs, along with Timanfaya National Park and Los Jameos del Agua. To capture the best photos of this natural wonder and other scenic spots, opt for a photo safari during the evening golden hour.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There is no admission fee to visit Los Hervideros.
- Don’t forget your camera, as this is one of the most photogenic spots on the island.
- Wear comfortable shoes with sturdy soles that are suitable for walking over rocky surfaces.
- Slippery and uneven terrain means that Los Hervidores is difficult to access for travelers with limited mobility.
How to Get There
Hervideros is located between El Golfo and Salinas de Janubio on Lanzarote’s southwest coast. The easiest way to get there is by car or bike along LZ-703, or by taking a tour that includes convenient round-trip transfers.
When to Get There
The best time to visit these coastal cliffs is during sunrise or sunset, when lighting is best for photography and crowds are less concentrated. Plan to visit on a clear day when the sun brings out the blues of the ocean.
What to Do in El Golfo
Los Hervideros is just along the coast from the seaside village of El Golfo. Combine your trip to the sea cliffs with a stop at the village; sit down for an al fresco lunch of freshly-caught seafood while soaking up the views of the sea and stop at the Charco de los Clicos, a bright-green lagoon that gets its color from the algae that grows at its bottom.
12 Tours and Activities to Experience Los Hervideros
Frequently Asked Questions
Things to do near Lanzarote
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Agafay
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Central Morocco