El Castillo Museum (Museo El Castillo)
Visitors to Poblado, a wealthy area in the green hills of Medellin, are in for a surprise. Behind heavy iron, Gothic gates and amid trees covered in Spanish moss, there’s a 17th-century castle in the style of those in France’s Loire Valley.
Built in 1930, it was later bought by Diego Echavarria and his wife. This wealthy family’s passion for art and culture is obvious in their home, where French and Spanish artwork lines the walls. But the story behind the castle is even more interesting than the building itself. On free tours you will learn about the family’s history, including the death of their daughter and the kidnapping and death of Echavarria himself shortly after.
After these tragic events, the house and possessions were donated to the city of Medellin, and the castle was opened to the public as a museum in 1971. Everything has been preserved just as the family left it, and tours include glimpses of the bedrooms, the dining area with a 10-seat dining table and porcelain dishes, the library with all of the family’s books and many other personal items.
Outside, the immense garden has fountains, exotic plants and wildlife, and a view of the city of eternal spring with its mountainous backdrop. The museum also serves as a cultural center for dance, music, crafts and arts.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience El Castillo Museum (Museo El Castillo)?
- Medellín Museums Tour
- Medellin, surrounding villages and coffee tour 6 nights 7 days
- Medellin cultural tour (museums)
- Medellin Local Flavours: Night Street Private Food Tour
Things to do near Medellín
- Things to do in Armenia
- Things to do in Bogotá
- Things to do in Cali
- Things to do in Cartagena
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in Barranquilla
- Things to do in Santa Marta
- Things to do in Nueva Loja
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Puerto Jiménez
- Things to do in Baños
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Osa Peninsula & Gulfo Dulce