With sun-soaked beaches, open-air festivals, and Christmas illuminations, Melbourne is at its most atmospheric during summer, and there’s no better time to experience everything Australia’s cultural capital has to offer. Here are some of the best things to do in Melbourne this summer.
- Enjoy dazzling illuminations, candlelight carols, and spectacular fireworks during Melbourne’s Christmas and New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- Escape the city for a day wine tasting in the Yarra Valley, wildlife watching on Phillip Island, or admiring the sights along the Great Ocean Road.
- Spend the day swimming and sunbathing at the beach, then relax with a cocktail at a rooftop bar.
- Watch a movie beneath the stars at the Moonlight Cinema in the Royal Botanical Gardens Melbourne, Rooftop Cinema in Melbourne’s Central Business District, or St. Kilda's outdoor cinema by the beach.
- Join the celebrations at the Australia Day Parade on Jan. 26.
- Watch a tennis match with a bowl of strawberries and cream at the Australian Open in Melbourne Park.
- Attend a live music festival such as the Big Day Out or St. Jerome’s Laneway Festival.
- Shop for souvenirs and tuck into delicious street food at the Queen Victoria Night Market, held each Wednesday evening.