Cole Bay Hill is the perfect perch for travelers to catch panoramic views of Philipsburg, St. Maarten’s Dutch capital, and nearby islands Saba, St. Eustatius, and Anguilla. In the mornings, sun glints off Simpson Bay Lagoon, the largest inland body of water in the Caribbean, and in the evenings, travelers flock here for sunset snaps.
The views from Cole Bay Hill draw travelers from far and wide. When experiencing Cole Bay Hill as part of a tour, travelers often see the island’s French and Dutch sides, with stops at beaches such as Grand Case, Maho Beach, or Orient Beach. Tours may visit Grand Case restaurants, and stop for shopping in Marigot. No matter the itinerary, enjoy views of the surrounding tropical scenery while learning the history of the Lesser Antilles.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Cole Bay Hill is a great spot to catch a sunrise or sunset on St. Martin.
- Tours may include roundtrip hotel transfers, food and drinks, use of snorkeling equipment, towels, and guides. Check tours for specific details.
- Remember sun protection, swimwear, and water for hydration.
How to Get There
Harold Jack lookout point on Cole Bay Hill is free to visit year-round. Set just west of Philipsburg, the hill is about a 10-minute drive from the cruise ship terminal and about 12 minutes from Princess Juliana International Airport.
When to Get There
For lower rates on hotels and less chance of rain, visit St. Martin/St. Maarten in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall. The weather is pleasant year-round, with summer being the hottest. From February to June you may see humpback whales.
Two Sides of the Same Island
St. Maarten/St. Martin is an island happily and uniquely divided in half. When the French and Dutch established their settlements around 1630, the Spanish colonists elsewhere in the Caribbean launched attacks. The Dutch and French, joined forces and fought together, beating the Spaniards back. Finally, in 1648 the two nations agreed to divide the island equally, creating the French side of St. Martin and the Dutch side of St. Maarten.