Boasting upwards of 20 beaches with tranquil waters for swimming and boating, Armação dos Búzios has earned its reputation as one of Brazil’s finest beach resorts. Situated on a scenic peninsula, Búzios is a popular getaway from Rio de Janeiro due to its proximity, charm, and tropical climate. Here are a few highlights.
- Stroll the cobblestone Rua das Pedras walkway in downtown Búzios, which is lined with chic boutiques, trendy nightclubs, and sophisticated restaurants.
- Snap photos of colorful fishing boats and bronze sculptures at Orla Bardot, a boardwalk named for the French actress who made the town famous.
- Go snorkeling or kayaking along the shorelines of Praia dos Ossos, João Fernandes Beach, Azeda Beach, and Brava Beach.
- Explore the city’s beaches and offshore islands during a sightseeing cruise by sailboat or schooner.
- Take a seat at Praça dos Ossos with an ice cream and enjoy the lazy atmosphere while people-watching in the square.
- Trace centuries of the slave trade and pirate history on a walking or boating tour.
Things to Know
- Búzios is 110 miles (176 kilometers) east of Rio, a drive of about 3 hours via BR-101 and RJ-124.
- Day tours from Rio typically last 10–14 hours, including travel time.
- Tours usually start and end at selected hotels in Rio’s South Zone (Zona Sul), which includes Copacabana, Leme, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, and Flamengo.