Situated just west of downtown, Shelter Island is connected to the mainland by a thin sliver of land — but feels like worlds away. Ships and yachts bobbing in the colorful marina characterize the quaint seaside village, known also for its serene parks, buzzing food scene, and outdoor events. Toward the end of the island sits the historic Yokohama Friendship Bell, given as a gift by San Diego’s sister city of Yokohama, Japan.
Many nautical adventures launch from here, attracting sailors, sea-loving explorers, and marine animal lovers. Travelers flock to Shelter Island for sea cruises, featuring dolphin watching, sea lion scouting, and yacht gazing. Stay awhile and relax at one of the island’s many hotels or resorts, or bask in the sunshine during summer Concerts By The Bay.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience Shelter Island?
- San Diego Seal Tour
- Small-Group San Diego Afternoon Sailing Excursion
- Small-Group San Diego Sunset Sailing Excursion
- Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht in San Diego
Things to do near San Diego
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Carlsbad
- Things to do in Ensenada
- Things to do in Newport Beach
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Catalina Island
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Baja California
- Things to do in Arizona