Belgian chocolate and Belgian beer are just part of the fun on a trip to Brussels. Explore the capital city by bike, see the home of the European Parliament, and get a bird’s-eye view from Atomium. Here are a few ways to spend three days in Brussels, including options for day trips.
Musical Instruments Museum
Rue Montagne de la Cour 2, Brussels, Belgium
If you’re a music lover, the MIM is the place to go. Four floors hold more than 1,100 exhibits; additional galleries spotlight mechanical instruments and traditional instruments from other countries. A small additional fee gets you a Wi-Fi-enabled audio guide that lets you hear the sounds of the instruments on display. A Brussels sightseeing pass typically includes access to the MIM, and some city tours stop at the museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plan to spend about two to three hours at the MIM.
Facilities include restrooms, a gift shop, and a restaurant.
The museum is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The MIM sits on the Rue Montagne de la Cour, just off Brussels’ Place Royale. Driving and parking in the area are difficult, so public transit is your best option. Catch the metro to either Centrale or Parc station; take the 92 or 93 tram to Royale; or walk around five minutes to the museum from Brussels Central Station.
When to Get There
The MIM is open every day except Monday and major holidays. The museum and its popular restaurant can get busy, so arrive early to enjoy them at their quietest.
Must-Sees at the MIM
MIM highlights include instruments made by Tibetan monks from the bones of their deceased colleagues, and African slit-drums used for communication as well as music. After looking at the exhibits, it’s worth stopping by the top-floor restaurant, whose indoor and outdoor spaces offer stellar views over Brussels.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- BELvue Museum
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Sablon District
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- Grand Sablon Square (Place du Grand Sablon)
- MOOF Museum
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral
- Hard Rock Cafe Brussels
- Royal Galleries of Saint Hubert (Les Galeries St-Hubert)
- Grand-Place (Grote Markt)
- Brussels City Museum (Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles)
- Brussels Town Hall (Hotel de Ville)