Kyoto is hot and humid in the summer, but with so many beautiful outdoor attractions, such as parks and temples, you won’t want to spend your visit seeking indoor air-conditioning. Explore at a leisurely pace, and you can enjoy the best of Kyoto in the summer without getting overheated. Here are a few places and experiences you shouldn’t miss.
- Take a morning city tour to enjoy the cooler morning air before the heat of the day, visiting must-see sights such as the Golden Temple, Kiyomizu-dera, and the Arashiyama district.
- Sit back and relax on a traditional-style rickshaw tour of the bamboo forests of Sagano.
- Eat your way around Kyoto on an evening food walking tour.
- Learn about Zen Buddhism on a daylong retreat at a peaceful temple.
- Don a colorful, summer-weight yukata kimono and have photos taken to commemorate your visit during a professional photo shoot.
- Exercise your creative side with an arts-and-crafts class, where you can learn traditional Japanese arts such as flower arranging and watercolor painting.
- Shop for high-quality souvenirs with a guide on a customized private shopping tour.