Despite being Australia’s largest state, Western Australia produces just a tiny percentage of the country’s wine. However, there are still some excellent wineries to explore and the top wine-growing areas are all within easy reach of Perth. Here are some of the must-try varietals and wine tours in and around Perth.
There are three main wine regions close to Perth—the Swan Valley, Margaret River and the Great Southern wine region. The Swan Valley is the hottest wine region in Australia, with an early grape harvest (in January) that produces grapes such as verdelho, chenin blanc, and chardonnay. Further south, the Margaret River wine region is known for its cabernet sauvignon, merlot, sémillion, sauvignon blanc, chenin blanc and chardonnay. Finally, the Great Southern is Australia’s largest wine region—encompassing the Porongurups, Mount Barker, Albany, Denmark, and Frankland River regions—and produces a diverse selection of red, white, rose, and sparkling wines including Riesling, chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir, Shiraz, and malbec.
- Sip wine and dine on gourmet cuisine as you float along the Swan River on a Swan Valley wine cruise.
- Combine wine tasting in the Margaret River with regional sights such as Busselton Jetty, Mammoth Cave, and Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse on a day or multi-day tour from Perth.
- Pair delicious cuisine with carefully selected wines at the Sandalford Winery.
- Visit boutique wineries, whiskey distilleries, and cider houses on a tour of Perth Hills.
- Learn more about the winemaking process as you stroll the vineyards and take a behind-the-scenes tour of the Upper Reach Winery.
- Feel like a VIP with a scenic flight to the prestigious Leeuwin Estate, where you can enjoy a romantic lunch and private wine tasting.
- Master the art of wine tasting and sample Western Australian wines without leaving Perth by taking an introductory wine class.