Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
Delve into Mozart’s childhood at the address where he lived with his family from 1756 to 1773. Wander the three floors—including the Mozarts’ original apartment and an authentically recreated middle-class apartment of the time—to learn about the family’s daily domestic life, and admire everything from the young Wolfgang’s musical instruments to artifacts such as family letters and portraits.
To save time at the entrance, book your ticket online in advance. Alternatively, save money with a reduced-price combo that includes a ticket to the nearby Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus). Mozart’s Birthplace also features on most Salzburg tours, including excursions that chart the composer’s life in the city. Day trips to Salzburg from cities such as Munich and Vienna typically stop by the museum, as well.
Things to Know Before You Go
Allow about an hour for your visit.
On-site amenities include a gift shop and restrooms.
The museum isn’t accessible to wheelchairs.
Audio guides are available to download.
How to Get There
Located in Salzburg’s Old Town, Mozart’s Birthplace is easily accessed on foot. The closest bus stops are Ferdinand-Hanusch-Platz and Salzburg Rathaus; hop-on hop-off buses also stop at the Hanuschplatz. Although driving isn’t advised, due to heavy traffic, there are several paid parking garages on the outskirts of the Old Town.
When to Get There
Apart from major public holidays, the museum is usually open daily, with extended hours in July and August. As one of Salzburg’s top attractions, it’s extremely busy at peak times, especially in summer. For fewer crowds, go on a weekday or near the opening or closing time.
Must-Sees at Mozart’s Birthplace
Highlights of Mozart’s Birthplace include the clavichord on which the young genius composed The Magic Flute, his first violin, and manuscripts of his early compositions. And, check out the portraits of the child composer, and the letter from his father, Leopold, to his publisher, proudly telling of the birth of his son on January 27, 1756.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)
- Salzburg Cathedral (Dom zu Salzburg)
- Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus)
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
- Salzburg Museum
- Mönchsberg Lift (Mönchsbergaufzug)
- Salzburg Museum of Natural History (Haus der Natur)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Mönchsberg (Museum der Moderne am Mönchsberg)
- Salzburg Marionette Theater