With the Mediterranean heat and a roster of events taking over Athens, summer is a lively time to visit the Greek capital. To help you plan your visit and battle the crowds, here are our picks of the top things to see and do in Athens this summer.
- Marvel at the UNESCO–listed ruins of the Acropolis, then learn more about the ancient wonder at the Acropolis Museum.
- Add a fun twist to your sightseeing tour and zip around the historic center of Athens on a Segway.
- Tuck into tasty Greek delicacies like bougatsa (sweet or savory pastries) and loukoumades (Greek honey dumplings) on a food tasting tour.
- Take a road trip along the Sounion Peninsula and enjoy spectacular views from the seafront Temple of Poseidon.
- Escape the city heat and cruise out to the Greek islands of Hydra, Poros, and Egina.
- Journey back to ancient Greece on a day tour to Delphi, a UNESCO World Heritage site.