San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)
Peru is a unique place that combines Catholicism with a number of ancient traditions, and the San Pedro Church in Lima is a great place to experience this harmonious mix. Most city walking tours touch on the church’s architecture and history. For a more comprehensive understanding of Lima’s history, religion, and Peruvian traditions, take a private tour and explore some of the city’s other churches, top attractions, and lesser-known highlights.
Things to Know Before You Go
The San Pedro Church is a must-see for architecture lovers.
There is an underground crypt that dates back to the 1600s.
Admission to San Pedro Church is free.
How to Get There
The church is a short walk from Plaza Mayor down Jiron de la Union. There are also a number of city buses that reach the church from many points in the city; alternatively, take the metro to Jiron de la Union station.
When to Get There
San Pedro Church is open daily from 8:30am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm. Lima experiences its peak season during the summer, December to April, so visit outside of this time for a quieter experience.
A Reminder of the Past
The San Pedro Church has remained more or less intact since its construction in the 1600s. It is home to a large collection of colonial paintings, which you can see throughout the complex. The Jesuits have preserved it very well, allowing the church to become a major spiritual center—not just for Limeños but for all Peruvians.
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puerto Maldonado
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Cathedral of Lima (Catedral de Lima)
- Archbishop’s Palace of Lima
- Lima Plaza Mayor
- Historic Centre of Lima (Centro Historico de Lima)
- Municipal Palace (City Hall of Lima)
- Presidential Palace
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- Plaza San Martin
- Sanctuary of Las Nazarenas (Iglesia de las Nazarenas)
- Lima Art Museum (Museo de Arte de Lima - MALI)
- Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco)
- Love Park (Parque del Amor)
- Park of the Reserve (Parque de la Reserva)
- Magic Water Circuit
- Lima Cruise Port